I just love how Facebook and Instagram are so different in terms of how they are used, and yet the key feature trending now for them both and developing FAST for fun, and also business & brand promotion is “Stories”.
Facebook Stories Ads will also enable brands to create new experiences for via the platform’s Stories option. And Instagram Stories is getting more interactive and users viewing your story will be able to get product details and other information, and they’ll also have the ability to click through to your mobile site to make a purchase.
☆ What are Facebook Stories?
First created in March 2017, Facebook Stories are short user-generated photo and video collections (up to 20 seconds) that can be viewed by who you choose as your audience, and they disappear after 24 hours so they need to be High Impact!!
Viewers can react to your story quickly, to give their opinion and feedback. with emoji or Gifs or they can send a private message.
Stories are a great way to get your content seen, because on a phone, where time and space is often limited, they appear across the top of the screen, so a simple scroll can show you who’s ‘speaking now’.
I’m sure you’ve noticed the change over the past few years from text status updates on Facebook becoming less, moving onto higher proportions of images posted and video, and now ‘Lives’. It seems everybody now gets more interactive with their friends and family using their phones, and of course this has opened up a path for businesses to join this trend.
Facebook Stories are focused around Facebook’s in-app camera which allows users to use fun filters and Snapchat-like lenses to their content as well as add visual geolocation tags to their photos and videos. The content is able to be posted publicly on the Facebook app for only 24 hours or can be sent as a direct message to a Facebook friend.
You can create Facebook Stories from your Facebook profile and Pages, opening up your options for direct business advertising and ‘teaser’ stories for attracting new customers
☆ Why would you use Facebook Stories?
Stories are a way to encourage original content by camera-first communication… like Snapchat & Instagram.
We used to send more messages to share interesting & fun moments with our friends, but now the camera is supported more by text and real-time images have become so much more common, and businesses have now adopted this approach since Facebook pages can create stories as well as Instagram business accounts, to include both images and videos!
Utilizing Instagram and Facebook stories in your marketing WILL be the main trend for 2019. The people who embrace this shift and huge opportunity will prosper and the ones who don’t… will be left behind!
Here’s the thing , Facebook (who also owns Instagram) are the biggest social media company in the world and they want to keep it that way.
Facebook are now pushing stories hard on both FB itself and on Instagram. They want to retain their #1 position, and don’t want the younger generation leaving them for new sites, like Snapchat … so big action is taking place!
So, it seems that … Stories are where you will find you customers in 2019 and if you look elsewhere you will likely come up empty-handed.
Here’s a few stats…
- 300M of Instagram’s 500M active users use stories daily
- 10% of Facebook’s users use stories daily (and this is growing rapidly).
- Story posting is growing 15 times faster than normal updates!
If you don’t use stories in your social media marketing then you are missing the boat..
Even worse… you probably won’t be noticed at all and your business will go the way of the dodo ☹️
The good news… Stories generate much better results that any other form of social media posting you are currently doing.
- Stories are shown at the very top of both Facebook and Instagram’s mobile platforms, the place you want to be!
- 15-25% of story views result in click, this is miles better than anywhere else!
So… time to take advantage of this new trend and cash in on it for 2019 and beyond 😊
Benefits of using Stories
- Great Viewing location: Stories appear in clear circles with your name at the top of the newsfeed when anyone views their Facebook profile or a Page or an Instagram account
- Share New Stuff: Stories are a way to encourage original content by camera-first real-time communication… like Snapchat & Instagram.
- Added Interest: Now, taking or uploading a photo is more interesting… there are a variety of text, filters, hashtags, location and other enhancements that can be used which can be adopted by businesses to share images and videos which are unique and eye-catching!
- More sharing options: It’s common for businesses to assess how frequently they should post to their Page. If you’ve already shared content to your Page or are currently running a Page ad, creating a Page story can help you become more active and engaging with your audience by providing a different type of media to enjoy and connect with.
- Humanise your business: You’ll want your Page to come across as friendly and accessible, and stories can help people get to know you and your business better. Stories allow you to share more personal and relatable content because stories often include the fun, fleeting moments that bind everyone together.
- Reach people consistently: When anyone in your audience misses a post, when they log in to Facebook, your story will be visible to them at the top of their News Feed. It’s a great way to re-engage a passive audience and bring updates to your entire audience in a dynamic way. You can see the number of people who have viewed your Story at any point while it’s live.
☆ How to create Facebook Stories
You can share to your story from a computer, the Facebook app for iOS or Android, Facebook Lite, or the Messenger app.
Here are 3 cool ways to create and share a Facebook Story:
- With your Facebook camera
- Share a status update
- Sharing from Instagram
- BONUS method (see below!)
#1 With your Facebook app phone camera
You can take a photo or video in the moment or upload one from your camera roll and add any of the hundreds of the creative effects available, such as frames, masks and stickers, to personalise your photos and videos.
From your profile (iphone instructions)
- Tap the + to create a story at the top of your newsfeed
- 2. Set camera view to selfie or view or upload an image
- 3. Set your Flash option
- 4. Set your story settings for save and who sees your story
- 5. If you are taking a photo of yourself you can add a face!
- 6. Slide the bottom side to side menu to choose your photo option
You see I added a face!
So then your options are to use the top buttons to add stickers, tags, music, a poll plus more, add text or write on the image.
Add effects to frame your photo then choose from these options:
- save the image to your phone
- add to your story
- share to your newsfeed
- share in messenger
On your Facebook Page:
To share a photo or video to your Page’s story, log into the Facebook app for iPhone or Android. You must be a Page admin or editor to share to a Page’s story. You can see stats on how your Page’s stories are performing once you turn on Stories Insights
Page Stories appear at the top of News Feed in a highly visible area. Users can also view your Page story by tapping on your mobile page’s profile picture.
Click the + on your profile image to create a story
The process is the same, except after you have uploaded or taken a photo or video you will see an option on the top right hand side to you will see an option to “Add a button”
- Shop Now
- Book Now
- Call Now
- Get Directions
Stories let you share pictures and short video segments that bring your audience on a journey from start to finish for anything you might be working on or experiencing. This shares with your followers a meaningful look at your business.
#2 Share a Facebook status update
When you are making a status update on Facebook, you will see an option to Share this to your story as well as your newsfeed, provide it fits within ‘Story’ regulations!
Text is ok up to a certain amount of words, and you can choose a colour background Images are OK. Links are not.
#3 Share a story when you create it on Instagram
When you create a story on Instagram, turn on your share to Facebook share option and it will be seen by your Facebook audience too 😀
So, there you go!
It has to be said though … to REALLY make an impact with a Story, wouldn’t something ANIMATED be COOL?
That makes professional looking slideshows … and even plays a tune!!
#4 BONUS info ~ REALLY make an Impact with Stories!
… How to SHINE with the Newest, Bestest most Beautiful way to create & post Viral Stories 🎉
So I’ve been testing out TOOL for creating stories …
… It’s the Newest Way to generate & post Viral Facebook & Instagram Stories in 5 Minutes without needing to know how to use ANY Video Animation Tools.
You can create Beautiful, High Converting Stories in Seconds with templates created for Stories with ‘swipe up’ call to actions, animated videos, editable text, you will instantly be ahead of the competition.
I’d like to share with you Luke Maguire’s new tool “Storymate” which makes it Super Easy to start using Stories to promote your products and stores
- Pick one of the 25 professional templates
- Point & click to customize as much (or as little) as you like (even add music)
- Click on render to finish and upload your story!
This is so easy it’s perfect for making daily stories for your stores and all of your products will be a breeze.
It levels the playing feel and allows ordinary folks like you and me to play with and even beat the big guys!
Storymate is a without a doubt a complete game changer for online selling and the early birds are going to catch some big worms when they start using it this week.
☆ ☆ ☆
So, I wish you lots of fun creating your interactive Stories!
Let me know below if you use Stories, and if they are working for you…